Second Square To None




Eoin Smith - Glow by sstn noise




The Noise Series this week features turntablist Eoin Smith (who also records as Taper Jinx) demonstrating his minimal ambient approach to deck manipulation. Eoin answered the following questions:


What are your reasons / motives for making music, and how you arrived at this style?

ES: My motivations for making such music is purely because of my interest in sound and the processes which goes into making such sonic art. In one respect it comes from the numerous computer programs I have worked with and accumulated over the years, from more coding based systems to your typical DAW setup. I find it interesting how such systems interact with each-other and the sonorities which evolve from fusing such programs. At the minute my main interest is incorporating turntable technology into the realm of sonic art in both composition and performance. Incorporating a turntable into a computer based system, the turntable becomes accessible as a controller and interactive middle ground for the user

What sort of environment it is intended for/what are the intended effects on the listener?

ES: For this piece in particular, I wanted to immerse the listener in sound. The piece itself is similar to a storm as it is intense, relentless and heaving. In order to fully achieve this, I suppose, the preferred setting would be through good monitors, where every sound can be appreciated. However I think the interesting thing about sonic art is that different or “not ideal” settings can also impose there own characteristics and nuances on a piece. Listening to this piece while on a train at night could introduce an appropriate visual representation of the piece so deviating from ideal listening settings can give the piece a whole new direction and a different meaning to each listener, so although there is an ideal setting, it is not essential.

What sort of equipment you use (e.g. computer, hardware, home made gear, circuit bent stuff etc.) do you use to make your sounds?

ES: My main set-up is similar to what I use to make more sampled based, breakbeat stuff, which I like: having one system which can be moulded and adapted to the sound you want to make. It consists of a laptop, turntable, mixer and drum-machine/sampler/sequencer. For this particular piece I also used an old effects rack I got a few years ago for some reverb. Usually any sketches or pieces would start with the sample material, whether it be from vinyl or field recordings, if I like the sound of something I will put it through some self made instruments on the computer or bring it into my hardware sampler then decide which works best. I really like the sound from my hardware sampler, it is quite muffled and lo-fi which can really bring alot of warmth to a piece in comparison to some computer programs. This piece came together quite quickly, it started as an experiment with simple filtering and effects using a rack reverb, turntable and mixer. A simple enough set-up but one which can be used to create engaging and interesting sonorities as is evident from the work of turntablists such Janek Schaefer or Philip Jeck.


Info on upcoming gigs, preferred web address, releases etc.

ES: Currently looking for gigs so if anyone has any they can contact me through my myspace which is

http://www.myspace.com/303es





(0) Comments

Post a Comment

Post a Comment