Second Square To None


Mysterious new Irish artist Emakousma is "a collection of semi-dried brain cells with a distinctive nutty eggy flavour, often used as seasoning for Matzah brei." Currently uploading haunting lo-fi acoustic explorations, we are anticipating very interesting things to come.


Tell us a little about your musical background.

I was given a guitar at 13 and shown how to play the blues loud and ignorantly. I think everything's just been an extension from that. I pick up new influences whenever I'm lucky to hear them and mostly learn styles and techniques from memory. Then they just sort of work their way into whatever I play. I've tried to learn the rules and technical side of things a few times, but I'm not a good student, my head wasn't made to remember things. Plus I've never been fond of the idea there's a specific way to do anything.


I've played with other musicians and bands, in the usual fields, tents, streets, parties, trains, crap venues, good venues. I stopped for a while. my hands got sore. then I started again. Now i'm trying to think of ways other people can play for me.


Describe your process of music-making/composition.

Its just starting off with a sound, a chord or a few notes and trying to follow it as naturally as possible. Sometimes it takes on a structure, melodies, rhythms, a story. Its never really my intention to "write" songs, I play out of my own curiousity and I share the things I like, which I believe is important for any creativity. I have a complusion to document everything I can. I would rarely start with a pre-concieved idea. If it sounds too forced, dump it. i find I don't usually play something more than once. again, I blame the memory thing, but also as I can be terribly fickle. Though re-occuring melodies or chord progressions would pop up from time to time.

In regards to any editing, effects, again, only what feels natural. Sometimes I prefer just to leave things alone. I would be experimental from time to time, but only if the mood suits. I wouldn't know how to actively be new or different. Again, its just making sounds for myself, out of the love of sound. 


What sort of equipment you use do you use to make your sounds?

I general don't really focus importance on what I have around me. More a case of making some good out of what's on offer. Though I am most comfortable with an old guitar with some character and the dodgiest recording equipment. at the minute, an acoustic jazz guitar mostly. Sometimes random objects to hit it with. things from the garden, kitchen appliances, phones. Usually whatevers lying around. I do like the sound of different metals or glass objects on acoustic strings. Very ugly slide guitar. For recording, the video setting on a canon digital camera. Or at times a boss digital 8 track. I prefer the rough sound of the camera mic. Then very basic audio editing software. I have limited means and electronic devices have a tendancy to stop functioning in my presence. I've learnt to be resourceful. And grateful.


Info on upcoming gigs, web address, releases.

There are several collaborative sessions planned, with various people involved in this particular project, each of whom I hope will take things in their own different directions. I think losing control is necessary from time to time. But we're making it up as we go.

Anything listenable is available (or will be) to download on Soundcloud. Everything there is free to use under creative commons. 

I'm not sure yet what form live performance will take. In my mind, though, I'd hope there'd be no-one who isn't both performer and audience. 

I haven't any intention of official releases at the minute. I make very homemade physical copies, cds, from time to time, I make covers and such myself. They're slow to appear and don't hang around very long. 

(0) Comments

Post a Comment

Post a Comment